Tuesday, March 15, 2011

FASHION WEEK

First of all, you might as well refer to it as "Fashion Month". The New York fashion scene has been so frantic for a solid two months that I feel as if I'm almost having an outer body experience.

In the office the interns are completely in charge of all scheduling duties for around 10 editors. This year in the fashion world, in an attempt to be more "green" the PR agencies and fashion houses have implemented a new scheduling system called Fashion GPS. This is basically similar to a bar code and it can be scanned for easy access to confirming attendance at shows and obtaining seats upon arrivals.

It's very interesting to see the fashion show set up from a first hand perspective. I've learned a lot about designer prestige and societal rankings of fashion designers, PR firms and editorial employees. It's interesting to note the scandals and secrets behind receiving fashion week invitations. There is definitely a lot of hard work that goes into organizing show times, a lot of drama and office politics and a lot of hand-me-down invitations available.

When it comes to excess invitations it's interesting how they get divided up. Some of the invitations get traded between editors, some get passed down to the features side of the office and others get distributed to us interns. Apparently a lot of other magazines and fashion firms do not give invitations to interns so freely, but overall at MC a majority of the interns got to see at least one show.

I remember I was in the office and it was towards the end of the day when things were wrapping up and one of the editors pulled me aside and asked me if I wanted to go to a show. Without even questioning which show it was of course I immediately accepted the invite! The show ended up being Cynthia Rowley, which couldn't have been more perfect since the last time I visited New York she was one of the designer's studios that I personally toured and I even got to meet her and her design team.

The show was amazing and exactly as I had imagined. However it was interesting to note how small the actual venue of the stage was. Lincoln Park was more amazing than ever, it was one of the most gorgeous set ups I have seen and one couldn't help but feel famous with the dozens of camera crews and bloggers everywhere taking everyone's pictures, including mine, and inquiring to what individuals thought of the shows. With the mixture of the lights, music, celebrities (I saw Julia Stiles!) it truly was a dream come true.

All of these events and hard work have only reassured me that I am in the right field and doing exactly what I should be doing with my life. I asked my friend the other day what he would do if he were rich and didn't have to work another day in his life. I couldn't help but feel saddened to his response of "nothing but lay on a beach", because I know that if I were in the same position I would only immerse myself further into the world of fashion.

No comments:

Post a Comment