Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Behind the Scene

So along with my gained knowledge of organizing fashion week, working on schedules and attending shows I was also lucky enough to work behind stage at one of the shows.

I've been trying to network with as many individuals as possible while working here, because as I've come to learn it is definitely all about who you know. A fantastic resume can't hurt, but if you're name isn't out there in the industry even by the slightest the chances of landing a dream job are very slim.

So I contacted a friend of mine I met through my study abroad experience and asked if she knew of any way to be more involved with fashion week. As it turns out she did! I came in contact with one of the PR companies that works to set up the fashion shows and was able to work Sunday evening of NYC fashion week. This included the Custo Barcelona show and Tommy Hilfiger, among others. I am so mad I missed the DVF show!

Anyways, I entered through the back area of Lincoln Center this time, which in itself was a very interesting experience. This is where all the celebrities, VIP, models, staff and press enter. At one point standing backstage I turned to my left and Anna Wintour was standing directly next to me. I looked across the way and Andre Leon Talley was undeniably giving his famous opinions towards the nights events. Later in the night I bumped arms with Rosario Dawson. It's so strange to think how these individuals are all just real people like you and I, because I know I personally place them on a pedestal, but how can you not when you look at all they've accomplished in their life?

I was backstage for a while in the hair and makeup areas as dozens of models were being dolled up. There were fancy beverage and hor d'ourves stations and photographers galore.

After making it through the maze of backstage scenery I entered through the main stage into the seating area. We organized and preset all the programs and labels for the seats. Then I was put in charge of the fashion GPS sign in's and checked in all the individuals for the shows. There were PLENTY of people coming up who didn't have tickets which became really awkward because you don't want to be harsh or mean towards people but in all honestly you can't let them in without a ticket. There was even a girl I worked with that came in trying to get a ticket, which I inevitably had to deny because the show was full.

I am so lucky to have been able to see all facets of New York fashion week from viewing an actual show, to organizing schedules to seating individuals and being backstage. It's something I'll never forget and I'm sure it won't be the last time I'm involved in the events of fashion week.

No comments:

Post a Comment